Flower Growing In Troutdale

In 1928, A.D. Kendall, station agent of the Troutdale Rail Depot, took a custom-made box, filled it with his most prized gladiolus, loaded it aboard a refrigerated rail car and set out for the American Gladiolus Society's annual show and competition in Toledo, Ohio.

Kendall, his wife and the glads all arrived in fine shape five days later and the Troutdale grown flowers carried numerous awards. His feat of shipping the flowers by rail wowed the other growers.

Kendall and Clarence Parsons, who built the box to ship the flowers, were among the pioneers in the flower industry in Troutdale. Also known for their gladiolus were the Malcom family. Jack Malcom never got over his love for flowers and is the owner of a florist shop by the same name in Gresham.

Up on Cabbage Hill, just east of the Sandy River, the Wand family grew both glads and daffodils. Those flowers, and others in the area, were damaged by early fluoride emissions from the wartime aluminum plant built in Troutdale. Those emissions have been curbed, but the only flower growers in the area are now those who raise daffodils in Corbett.

Copyright © City of Troutdale
City of Troutdale- Last Updated April 18, 2006